Monday 14 April 2014

On yer marks...

Getting to the start proved tricky on several counts. I'm generally a pretty positive person but the start did make me wonder.
I'd planned to cycle from home to Huntingdon station for the train to London KX then the overnight train from Paddington to Penzance before cycling the 10 or so miles to Lands End to the start.
The 6.6 miles to get from home to Huntingdon station went something like this...
Leaving home and biking 5 mins down the road I realized I'd forgot my sunglasses so had to go back get them. Garmin told me it was a mile but I think it was slightly less and another 10 mins down the road when my chain came off. While fixing that I dropped my helmet in the road causing a driver to swerve to avoid it. A mile short of the station chain came off a second time. Despite this I was still early for the train which leads me to the most unfortunate part of getting to the start - waiting at Huntingdon station for 30 mins. It has to be one of the places not worth going to unless you're travelling through it, preferably in a train and preferably very fast.
That said the overnight Riviera train was fab & 9hrs after leaving Paddington I was woken up by the waitress with a bacon roll & coffee and we were in Penzance. Time to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment